Re: "real" oil pressure readings

To: cak@dimebank.com (Chris Kantarjiev)
Subject: Re: "real" oil pressure readings
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 18:17:56
At 01:48 PM 9/16/98 -0700, Chris Kantarjiev wrote:
>.... Morris Minor .... A series engine .... oil pressure gauge ....
>
>.... I don't really trust the oil pressure readings ....  the oil pressure
line taps in to the gallery that leads from the oil pump to the large exit
fitting at the rear of the block. In a "normal" engine, this goes through a
metal fitting direct to the filter head, whence the oil goes to the
bearings and elsewhere. The oil filter is probably a 10-15 psi drop in
pressure.

I'm not a A-series engine expert, but there are similarities to my B-series
engine.  In the B-series engine the oil pressure tap is physically located
right next to the "large exit fitting at the rear of the block", but in
fact it is plumbed into the main oil gallery in the block between the oil
filter and the main bearings, so is directly reading the pressure to the
bearings.  Is it not also like this on the A-series engine?

For a review of the complete oil flow path in the B-series engine, chack
this site:

http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg/mgtech/engine/en1.htm

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude