Re: Total Seal Piston Rings

To: "Harlan Jillson" <hjillson@argolink.net>, "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Total Seal Piston Rings
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 07:47:54 -0700
Harlan.....

I used a set of Total Seal rings in a 3-main B engine a few years ago. There
was no doubt that blow-by was reduced; my trick of adjusting valves by
putting the car in third and pushing it forward to slowly rotate the engine
was made much more difficult as the compression just would not leak down
past the rings!

However, the down-side was that the apparent extra friction from these rings
increased my running temperature by 15 to 20 degrees and my fuel economy
went down about 5 m.p.g.

I'm a now firm believer that you cannot buy a better set of piston rings
than those made by Deves.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center