Re: Perfect Modern MG? It's Getting Deep!

To: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Subject: Re: Perfect Modern MG? It's Getting Deep!
From: neil.cairns@virgin.net
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 08:16:03 -0700

> ***>In a front-engined car, the engine weight is almost directly over
> the
> front axle, and therefore borne almost exclusively by those two wheels.

 Tires give great
> handling when they are inside their performance envelop. That envelop is
> defined by weight, acceleration, and slip angle (turning) All things
> being equal, it is better for each tire to share the load equally and
> that is with equal weight on all wheels while half of them do the
> turning and the other half do the accelerating.

******Which is why I only get about 8 to 9,000 miles out of a front set
of tyres on my MG Metro fwd, with the rear tyres lasting 18 to 20,000.
Those front wheels do all the steering, driving, and most of the
braking. The rear ones just trundle along behind. ( A MG Metro has all
the bits off the famous MINI, if you have never seen one, it is a bit
bigger, rusts as quickly, but has that excellent handling.) Wheels are
just 12" diameter.

Neil