Re: Argon vs argon/co2 was re: Welding and spraying.

To: "Baker, G." <gbaker@customcpu.com>
Subject: Re: Argon vs argon/co2 was re: Welding and spraying.
From: Vallely <Vallely@ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 22:21:36 -0400
Baker, G. wrote:

> John,
>   What type of gas do you use with your MIG?  I have been using CO2 but
> think Argon
> might make a difference.  Got any helpful thoughts?
> Thanks,
> Gregg Baker
>
> At 11:29 PM 9/2/98 -0400, you wrote:
> >MGMagnette@aol.com wrote:
> >>
> >> Hey all-
> >>    Looked the prices being charged for welding and painting lately and
> >> basically decided to do it all myself.  So any reccomendations as to brands
> >
> >John--
> >Just read your post as I was out of town.
> >My $.02: I bought a Lincoln Weldpack 100 w/ gas last spring for my MGA
> >body work and have been satisfied with it. I use 0.30 wire. For me (a
> >novice), MIG isn't quite as simple as others have suggested, mostly
> >because a bad weld looks just like a good one. Still, I'm happy with the
> >unit and agree with the comments about live electrodes.
> >I have a craftsman 5 hp / 30 gal 120/240v unit that I converted to 240v.
> >It's noisy but adequate. It was worth the trouble of running a 240
> >circuit because the breaker threw at 120.
> >Good luck.
> >John  Vallely
> >'59 mga

Gregg--
(Sorry for the delay--missed your post.)
I use 75% argon / 25% co2. My Lincoln instruction manual recommends pure
co2, no reason given. The welding shop guy says the blend runs cooler.
I've been satisfied, but am curious about whether the co2 would be any
different/better. My guess is that the difference is not critical.
I'd welcome any other opinions from the list on the matter.
John Vallely