Re: Ignition Light/Charging Problems-Update

To: Andrew Lundgren <lundgren@iname.com>
Subject: Re: Ignition Light/Charging Problems-Update
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 20:02:30 +0000
Andrew Lundgren wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Sep 1998 12:15:05 EDT, Speedo79@aol.com wrote:
>
> >Dear Listers,
> >As of this morning, my battery is deader than a door nail.  Not even my clock
> >is functioning; however, it does indicate that the battery went completely
> >flat approxamately 11 hours since I last ran the car.  So, that would
>indicate
> >a VERY small short.  Please, oh please help me with this one!  I am at
> >college, and lack the facilities to work on my car properly, meaning I would
> >have to *gasp* take it to a shop.
> >

> You can verify it is a leak (or short) by hooking a light in series with your
>battery.
> If the light lights with the ignition turned, then you have a leak.  (Might
>want to make
> sure you don't have a radio with a clock in it, because it will also cause a
>small drain.)

Andrews reply should read 'with the ignition turned off'.  How hot is
hot?  My alternator runs between the coil (warm) and the oil cooler
(hot).  An overheating alternator with no ignition light could be caused
by internal diode failure, or you could have two faults - external short
causing the hot running and internal diode failure affecting the
indicator light.  Remember that the ignition lamp holder has two wires
and is *not* supposed to ground on the speedo case.

PaulH.