Re: Trouble Starting MGB 77 - Thanks!!

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Trouble Starting MGB 77 - Thanks!!
From: Raja <rsaggi@fcw-inc.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 08:40:31 -0400
Hi all!
Thanks for all the friendly responses.

Some answers:
1)I have manual choke - and I never applied it till your suggestions.=20
2) I don't know what kind of carburettor I have yet.

Last night, I checked the car again with a friend's help trying to =
investigate further.
1) The fans turn when the car is started from cold. Not the engine (by =
this I mean the belts don't turn- the only thing moving in there are the =
fans)
2) After 2 tries, and gas, the car comes to life. The engine turns, and =
the fans keep running.
The whole procedure takes 15 -20 seconds.

The next morning, I tried this time with manual choke
1) It takes about 10s to start - in the beginning, only fans and then =
the engine coughs to life, helped by me pressing on the accelerator

I think that after reading all your replies, I am  overreacting. It =
worried me that the car that started almost immediately 3 weeks ago and =
with no help is taking longer and longer and has to be manually choked =
to get going.=20

I will try working through all the points you suggested partly cos it =
sounds interesting and something I need to know. And a motor mechanics =
class if I can find one. It will be interesting to learn about plugs and =
points.

Cheers