B update...soon! (And 2 questions)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: B update...soon! (And 2 questions)
From: dresden@tiac.net
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 00:31:08 GMT
Hey all,

Things couldn't be going better as far as getting the B home goes (well, no
title yet, but other than that...). I found a cheap garage space for rent,
the seller says I can take it whenever I want and pay him when he gets the
title. (Dad has to get it from the registry).

So how to get it home...no title means no registration, and two hours is a
long drive with no plates, and a lot of tickets (lessee, unregistered,
uninsured, uninspected...) if I get bagged, not to mention having to pay
for a tow anyway, because no cop in his right mind would let a trip like
that continue.

So I called a former employer, who has a truck and trailer, and is a "car
guy" (A Citroen DS enthusiast, actually, but we'll forgive him), so might
be sympathetic, and it looks like a couple of weeks from now the B should
be in my garage. Of course I won't order a lot of parts until I have the
title, but I can start the bodywork and electrical figuring out.

A couple of questions I've been pondering; does the later B ('78)need the
oil cooler? I looked for it on this one, but didn't see one. Was it an
option? If so, what are the cost/benefits?

Also, since this car just woke up from a years long nap, does anyone have
any advice so far as determining whether or not any internal damage was
done to the internals of the drivetrain, or preventive measures, or is it
too late, and "just drive it and see..."? It doesn't show any signs of oil
burning (no oil in tailpipe, a little black smoke but no blue) and the oil
pressure is good, and the shifting seems fine as well...any recommendations
on things to check?

Thanks in advance,

Nevin