MGs "On the Rocks"

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGs "On the Rocks"
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 10:03:09 EDT

Just got in from the Baltimore show-  what an excellent day! those
Baltimore folk have these things down to a science!!
it was a beautiful hot sunny day in an excellent state park setting, i
would guess somewhere around 250 cars about 90 percent of which were
MGs including a GT class (other shows please note!) with no less than 21
cars in it - fortunately there were a lot of folk from the list there so
i managed to blag a third which tickled me no end! There was a large
and comprehensive vendor area which had most everything you could want
(except quarterlight seals which are now holding up my 69!!)
Speaking of listers, they really were out in force. Larry Macy was
true to his word and had at least three cases of beer plus one case of
soda
in his cooler - he was very generous, but was just pipped out of the
prizes
by three wretched individuals in his class who must have had large
families! (couldnt have been anything to do with the cars of course)
Dr Doug has adopted a new "corporate" image! - no ponytail and less
facial hair - i thought it must be his father when i saw him!! hehe.
Rick Brown had a hangover (oops sorry Rick - i mean you were "tired") and
left
his car at Terry Allens on the way down! David Deutsch made it despite
some last minute front end rebuilding and was thoroughly affable all day
contrary to anything you might hear about him!
Gene Fox got 3rd in the premier class (royalty!!) with his RBGT so i
will be out of the prizes next year when he comes back to the
proletareate-
he did also win an unofficial prize for having the "daughter most  hit-on
by wierdos and nerds!" - I hope the poor girl got away safely.
Ian Pender managed to walk away with first in the V8 class  AND by some
miscalculation BEST MGB IN SHOW! - which is something of a feat
considering he hasnt cleaned it in about a month -he also won the most
beer consumed award..... The amassed listers also awarded some prizes
of our own.."most obvious'dead cat on the head' wig" was a popular
one.....
It really was an excellent day  - some really beautiful cars, the best
car show food anywhere (pit beef sandwiches with lots of onions and
bbq sauce) draft English beer (but not warm) and some really first class
laughs with a lot of good folk If you can possibly make this one next
year its worth it - my round trip is nearly 600 miles (4h 40m on the way
back - can she fly or what??!)
Rich Liddick and all the Baltimore people really deserve a sound
ripple since for my money they produced the 2 best shows this year, today
and
Hagerstown - Hope your day was as much fun

mike robson
69 roadster (just minutes away when i find the quarterlight seals!)
70 BGT( did i mention third... again??)
53 Riley(May be at Bethlehem CT show sunday if i can get away with it!)