Re: Additional help on tonneau cover install

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, "RAY WYGONIK" <RWYGONIK@grove.iup.edu>
Subject: Re: Additional help on tonneau cover install
From: "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 18:27:33 -0500
The snaps behind the vent windows on the door sound like an ok idea. I'd
reconsider on installing another LTD into the dash, though.
My $.02 based on my daily use of the full tonneaux to consider, though:
1) An LTD on the drivers side middle of dash may be more hassle,
installation-wise and thereafter, than it's worth. If you use the tonneaux
often, that LTD by the windshield can be a small pain, and I wouldn't want
to double the effort. Remember, it's supposed to make it more convenient
than putting the top up and down. Just undoing that one LTD can take a
certain technique, and usually you're undoing it to let a passenger ride,
and they're watching, thinking "what kind of contraption is this?" Adding to
the LBC mystique by adding snaps is not my idea of "cool".
2) Without the snaps on the doors, I can open them with the tonneaux in
place. Not a big deal, since snaps are easy, and it may help to tighten it
up a bit...mine sags on the drivers side to collect rain water too. However,
I'm not sure a hundred snaps around the edges would fix that. The best
lister advice I got on that score was a stick device to "tent" it up in the
middle and let the water run off.
3) I just don't like the idea of drilling more holes into my car than
absolutely necessary...VELCRO anyone? The answer to life itself lies in
VELCRO, I'm sure.
4) I've had no cold weather since installation. Don't forget that it WILL
shrink when it gets cold unless you remove it and put up the top for the
winter.

Dan
73 B