Re: Things Southern (some LBC content)

To: "'MG submission'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Things Southern (some LBC content)
From: "Cordell, Ralph Ph.D." <rzc4@cdc.gov>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 16:36:06 -0400
I loved the Iowa jokes. Trying to get back to LBCs - I grew up in downstate
Illinois & learned to drive my '59 MGA (LBC content) in both snow and ice.
I spent 20 years in Chicago (establishes credibility wrto snow & ice) and
moved down to Atlanta 7 years ago.  I thought the majority of folks down
here were wimps when it came to cold weather.  During the blizzard of '95
(or whatever) we had maybe 12" of snow (8 of which melted and 4" turned to
slush within 24 hours).  No sweat says the yankee in his '87 Grand National
on the way to work - 40 mph up the hill thawed by the morning sun - over the
crest - down the other side which had frozen to a glaze the night before.
Well after reaching the bottom tail first on the other side of the road, I
cleaned out my drawers and developed a new respect for driving in the South.
The same terrain (hills & curves) that makes this such a great area for LBCs
(trying hard here) can make it really tough.  Snow is one thing but glare
ice on hills and curves is something dis ol' yankee has learned to respect
almost as much as fireants.  IMHO southerners make some of the best friends
and nastiest enemies (I have many of the former & none of the latter that I
know of).  The hunters in the South seem to be a tad better on most counts
than those in the North  (though I have met jerks in both areas) but the
game in the North is generally larger.  You have to pot a lot of grey
squirrels in order to make a meal and many of those Michigan/Illinois/Iowa
corn-fed bucks could be the herd bulls of Georgia.  I would hate to hit one
in an MG (wrapup with LBC).

Ralph Cordell
rzc4@cdc.gov
Hospital Infections Program
"Never try to teach a pig to sing.   All you do is waste your time and annoy
the pig" - Mark Twain
'59 MGA
'84 Turbo Regal
'87 Grand National