Re: Hello and Oh Boy! New Toy!

To: jeanderson@nitsuko.com
Subject: Re: Hello and Oh Boy! New Toy!
From: Bill Schooler <schooler@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 1998 16:09:39 -0400
jeanderson@nitsuko.com wrote:

> John E Anderson@NITSUKO
> 10-03-98 11:45 AM
>
> Hello Everybody,
>
>        I've been quietly sitting here, in the back of the garage, soaking
> up a lot of
> information.  Well, I've decided to stand up now, because I just bought a
> '58 MGA.  From what
> I've been told, the car was running some ten years ago, but has been
> sitting since.  It's
> complete, but the interior (big surprise) is pretty well shot.
>
>      It's Orient Red with a black interior.  I assume it's original, but
> I'm not sure.

>From Clausager's book "Original MGA":  The Orient Red car came with red
seats, red piping, a black hood and black tonneau cover.  The carpet was
invariably black.

The engine
> in the car came from an early 70s MG, but the original motor (siezed) is
> also provided.  I expect
> delivery sometime in the next three weeks.
>
>      My hopes for this car is to turn it (before next April) into a spring
> through fall daily (sort of)
> driver.  I don't have any ambitions for a concours condition car!  (I'll
> wait and do that with the 1600
> MkII I've got my eye on - but that one's a barn car)
>
>      I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions as time goes on, and
> hopefully, be able to provide
> some answers!  First, I would like to know what you would recommend for
> restoration guides,
> and other 'must read' stuff.

Highly recommend Anders Clausager's book mentioned above.  Invaluable.
Also invest in a proper workshop manual - the Bentley series - unless
you can get an original or copy.  Bob Vitrikas' book, "MGA A History &
Restoration Guide" is also useful.

Second, after It arrives, and is cleaned up a
> little, where should I start?

I am in the midst of a similar project, bringing to life a restoration
that was started 12 years ago - and then the owner passed away.  Have
completed renewal of all hydraulics (highly recommended) and have the
engine running. What's the status of your car?  Is is running or not?
Drivable?  Would recommend redoing all the brakes first, and then the
clutch hydraulic system.

--
*Bill Schooler      *Check the MGCC Wash DC Centre Web Page
*Woodbridge, VA     *http://members.aol.com/mgccwdcc/