70 MGB GT - Fuel Pump

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 70 MGB GT - Fuel Pump
From: Gary Davis <GDAVIS@ibr6gw80.gp.usbr.gov>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 1998 08:01:49 -0600
Please overlook the obvious ignorance that follows.  I bought my GT in
February.  Shortly thereafter, I bought a new battery, had the alternator
and starter rebuilt, and the solenid replaced.  It starts like a charm.
However, during the last week starting has been more labored.  I thought
it might have been the relative cool days we're having in Montana.  But
yesterday morning, it wouldn't start at all.  The fuel pump clicks and the
tach bounces up to about 1000, but it won't start.  I took a quick look at
the fuel pump and noticed a clearish old plastic? hose running from near
the gas tank towards the fuel pump.  It was not connected to the fuel
pump but looked like it had been.  I didn't have a whole lot of time to
investigate more yesterday, but suspect something is amiss with this
hose.  Can someone explain to me what the hose does and whether it is
likely the source of my starting problems?

Thanks - Gary