0 for 2

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 0 for 2
From: "Thomas James Pokrefke, III" <pokrefke@hubserv.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 1998 15:43:29 -0400
Today turned out to be a bummer, vehicle wise.  I decided to go to my
favorite country road for a drive this morning in the 'B.  The drive
involves a 15 mile trip on I-59 to get to the right exit.

I was rolling along about 75 mph, when BOOM!  The right rear blew out.
Talk about fun: trying to get a 3-wheeled MGB to the shoulder isn't it.

So I put the spare on, drove to the tire shop, and leave the flat
there.  The guy said it would be ready around 2, so I went home and
climbed in the Pathfinder.  I saw an old logging road that morning that
needed to be explored.

I decided that the logging road wasn't as fun as it looked from the
Interstate, so I made a U-turn and headed home.  Actually, I got the
Pathfinder 'facing' home.  There comes a time when you're off-roading
that your butt tells your brain that you're stuck.  It's ususally
accompanied by a downward lurch of the vehicle (about 6 inches), and a
complete cessation of any forward movement.  It's more fearsome than any
roller coaster I've ridden.

So after an hour and a half of winching, blocking wheels, putting the
transfer case in nuetral, and general misery, I was once again freed.  I
put both cars in the garage and turned out the light.

Some days your're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.

Thomas James Pokrefke, III
1970 MGB (Puff, the Magic InnerTube)
1995 Nissan Pathfinder (sometimes even 4X4 isn't enough)