Driveshaft - questions on both ends.

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Driveshaft - questions on both ends.
From: "Kulka, Matt" <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 09:27:31 -0400
Good morning again, listers.

I was under the '74 B last night checking and greasing the u-joints and I
found an awful lot of play in the differential.  There's a flange on the
input shaft of the differential.  I can turn the driveshaft so the edge of
the flange moves about 3/8" (compared to the differential housing) without
the wheels turning.  Wow.

I know these axles tend to get some play in them, but how much is too much?
Beyond that, how far can this go before I start breaking teeth?  Lastly, is
this a matter of replacing thrust washers, or replacing differential gears?

The other odd thing, is that I was expecting to find a grease fitting in the
sliding splined shaft just behind the front u-joint.  What I found was a
small machine screw loosely screwed into a threaded hole just behind the
yoke.  This hole doesn't look big enough for a grease fitting, but I can't
figure out what else it would be for, or why a small machine screw should be
in this hole.  What's that all about?

Thanks again.

Matt Kulka
'74 B - With all that play, no wonder it's so much fun to drive.