Intro, Mats and Paint

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Intro, Mats and Paint
From: Chris and Jodi Barnhart <barnhart@geneseo.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 21:51:08 -0500
Hello all,

First,  since I hadn't properly introduced myself in previous posts, I'm
Chris Barnhart, Geneseo, IL, (pop 6000, salute!) restoring a 69 B.

Second, thanks to all who provided advice on sound deadening mats.
I finally went with an 1/16 inch, asphalt based, self adhesive, sound
deadening mat from Whitney.  It came in 28 by 53 mat.  Very similar to
the
original except for thickness. Only $27 bucks, too.

Lastly, I'm following the recent painting thread with interest.  In that
vein:

I'd like to keep my "69 B its' original Mineral blue colour AND use a
modern 2 part Base/Clearcoat Acrylic Urethane paint like Dupont
Chromabase.
So far I haven't been able to find the Mineral blue in this type of
paint (Can get
BRG, though!, hmmm).

My local paint shop sells both Dupont and PPG but says the lacquer codes
for either don't cross to anything close in the 2 part paints.

Anybody know of a different vendors paint that matches?
How about an equivalent color on a new production car?
Any had luck with computer color matching?
Forget it and spray the lacquer?

Thanks,
Chris
'69B

P.S. Found a neat trick to quickly remove rust and paint from washers as
I reassemble
parts of the B.  Thread a bunch of washers on a long bolt or a loop of
hanger wire.  Hold this at an angle on a bench mounted wire wheel.  The
washers will spin back and forth as you contact the wheel.  They clean
up in two or three passes.  Do wear gloves.