Re: Upholstery question

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Upholstery question
From: BobMGT@aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 23:43:17 EDT
In a message dated 10/12/98 10:56:25 PM !!!First Boot!!!, rj-
blumberg@prodigy.net writes:

> I am replacing the upholstery on my 53 TD and using the Moss kit. I've
>  put felt on the wheel wells, but the vinyl wheel well covers are really
>  loose and baggy. What can I use as padding to take up the slack? I've
>  heard some people use foam, but foam rots rather quickly, I think. Any
>  suggestions from the experts?

Well I'm no expert but I used batting from the local fabric store. It is a
soft fluffy material sold by the yard like cloth. I also bought my felt from
the fabric store. Much, much cheaper and worked great. There really isn't any
way to make the wheel well covers taunt, because you have to glue it in place.
Unfortunately, you can't staple to sheet metal. I think everybody's covers are
a little baggy, even with the batting. BTW if you use batting,  don't try to
run a drill though the it! It is fibrous and will immediately wrap around the
drill bit like spaghetti on a fork. You can melt a nice clean hole through the
vinyl and batting with a small soldering iron. Make sure the soldering iron is
not so hot that it can start a fire. BTW the old felt under the original vinyl
is very, very flammable! I was doing some grinding in this area and the sparks
started it on fire. Luckily I had a fire extinguisher in the garage. Don't be
without one!

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR #7-3336