A Very Special Day

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, TATERRY@aol.com, Plainjones@aol.com
Subject: A Very Special Day
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 09:37:33 +0000
On Saturday 10th October my daughter Nicola was married to Sam.  One of
the many things that made this such a special day was to have travelled
to the church in John Bates’ superb VA Tourer.  With its silver-grey
paintwork, red upholstery, twinkling chrome and top down we made a fine
sight as we pulled up outside the church just as the sun came out.  What
came as a complete surprise during the service was when Father Brian
opened his address to the congregation by saying that Nicola and Sam
were going to be starting their new life together in the right way, by
leaving the church in an MG.  He then related how he had driven himself
to his wedding in a TA many years ago, subsequently owned a series T
series cars, and had helped his son restore three MGBs!

This wonderful world-wide MG community we have courtesy of the Internet
played its part in this day.  I put out a message back in February
asking about the availability of a four-set tourer and had a reply from
Terry Saunders from somewhere on the East Coast of America, I believe,
giving me the telephone number of David Washbourne, the keeper of the
SVW Register.  David gave me the number of John Bates, who lives about 3
miles from me!  Charlie Plain-Jones also replied offering his help, and
he lives here in Solihull.

Many thanks to Terry, David and Charlie for their help, but most of all
to John Bates.

Paul Hunt.