Re: Leak down test questions

To: "William M Gilroy" <wmgilroy@mtgbcs.mt.lucent.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: Re: Leak down test questions
From: "Geoff Branch" <branch@valinet.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 09:12:20 -0400
On piston aircraft engines the technique for leak down test includes a
device called a differential cylinder pressure tester.  (Aircraft Spruce and
Specialty has them for $60.00, 1-800-824-1930, www.aircraft-spruce.com) .
This has two guages on it, one showing how much air is going in and how much
air is left.  Aircraft use typically 80#.  Limit for rejection of cyliner is
60#, but these are air cooled engines and I don't really know what the limit
would be for water cooled.  I recently checked my '74 midget and found all
cylinders to be mid sixties.  No matter what cooling, the engine must be
warm and the piston must be at TDC on it's upward stroke.  If it is after
TDC the rings will have moved up in the piston grooves and will give
erroneous readings.  All this said, it looks to me also that the head is
coming off.  Aircraft Spruce has a great catalogue that is worth the price
of admisison!!

GJB '74 Midget