Re: Lead vs. Bondo

To: RossOvercash <jroverca@tiac.net>
Subject: Re: Lead vs. Bondo
From: Chuck Schaefer <crschaef@mc.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 19:45:50 -0500
Ross,

I bought something like that at a hamfest about 5-8 years ago. The guy there was
demonstrating "soldering" holes he punched in aluminum cans. Looked really neat
but had no immediate need for it. I bought several rods of it. It sat around
until I dropped my circular saw. An old one that had a cast aluminum housing.
You guessed it, cracked in several places.

I got out the rods, ground a Vee along the cracks and got out the propane torch.
It soldered up pretty good. You've got to scratch the rod against the material
to be soldered under the heat of the torch to break thru the aluminum oxide
layer. Filed down the excess blobs.To this day it is still holding up.

It looked pretty good as a repair to the aluminum cans too. May work on the
aluminum body panels to the MGA but don't blame me.....

One caveat though, I tried it on a broken casting I thought was aluminum. The
torch melted the part before the alumalloy rod. Must have been Zinc die cast.

Chuck Schaefer