Re: MGB Wheel Bearings and Porsche brakes

To: "Eric Zambori" <eaz@snet.net>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: MGB Wheel Bearings and Porsche brakes
From: "Mike Hartwig" <mhartwig@cbu.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 09:49:23 -0500

>Is there a valid reason why the front bearings need the spacer and
>shims?

Eric, I believe it had to do with the bearings not being very good at
taking lateral loads.  I believe modern bearings are able to handle
the torque, so this is no longer a problem.  IF you are replacing the
seals and bearings, now is the time to remove the spacer and leave out
the shims.  Then bolt it back together just like your Toyota.

I took the hub and rotor off my Porsche the other day, and like all
other vehicles, no spacer is used.  Just tighten down and go with it.
The reason I mention the Porsche is because the Porsche hub and rotor
will fit on the MG spindle.  The bearings are exactly the same size.
The calipers mounting points are just slightly off, and I will have to
design a special bracket.  Otherwise, the Porsche brakes are bolt on.
I can get Porsche slotted or drilled rotors for much less than any MG
hi-po bits (Porsche slotted rotors for less than $100 vs. MG drilled
for around $155).

Jay