Jacking Point & stock jack

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Jacking Point & stock jack
From: AKBLACKLEY@aol.com
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 13:18:17 EDT
IMHO the stock jack should be used only if no other jack is handy. My dealing
with with contraption always make me worried that it will slip sideways in the
socket and fall, or more likely, the top of the jack will scratch or dent the
door skin.
I can (do) use the stock jack point with a floor jack. I've had the car
balanced on the jacking point on either side as a test of structural rigidity.
I am happy to say that there was no sign of binding of the door gaps and
certainly no sickening crunching noises as rusty crossmembers implode (been
there...).
In the garage I use my floor jack under the front crossmember to raise the
front and set jack stands under the A arm pivots, and at the rear place the
jack under the housing to raise the back and put jack stands under the axles
(mind the brake pipes).
For serious structural repair (which Ive never done - yet) the best advise
I've seen is from either Lindsay Porters book or the Practical Classics book
on MGB restoration. I believe both recommend doing one side at a time and to
bolt or even weld a temporary brace across the top of the door opening, on the
inside. Helps if the interior is mostly stripped out already, of course. Sill
repair is an ugly business.
Good luck. Cheers, Andy Blackley