MG Bust...

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: MG Bust...
From: "MSLishego" <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 23:21:15 -0400
Hello all,
        Well, I tried to bring the MGB back to NC with me.  She just didn't want
to go...
Things started off well, I got the car officially inspected and liscensed
for the first time since '84...I was driving around on Thursday, trying to
further tune the engine.  I stopped to get gas, and as I was paying the
attandant asked me if that was my MG leaking gas...The top of the tank
split, and gas was pouring out!  We threw cat litter under the car and
rocked it until no more gas came out.  In the meantime, the attendant told
me about his '60 MGA that he had for 20 years...Seeing that I had about
three miles to home, I drove the car, as I couldn't afford a $50 towing
charge, and the car would be dripping gas either way...I made it home and
contacted George Merryweather about a new tank...
        Friday morning, there was a brand new tank on my doorstep!  (Thanks
George!)  When I pulled the old one, a cat from Abingdon fell from above!
Actually, it was a small lump of black matted fur and bones.  It could have
been abything, but it was wedged in the top of the tank.  The old tank was
ok on the bottom, but the top was a thin sheet of rust...The new tank went
in well, and I tuned the car some more - adjusted the valves and played
with the carbs and timing some more, while painting the valve cover...
        Today started well, it was a beautiful day here - the top was down the
entire day, and I worked on putting some miles on the car.  I ran into a
guy who was selling his '68.  He had it painted aa GM metallic pink, with
some odd steel wheels and LARGE whitewalls.  It was gross, but he was a
nice guy...Saw a few other MGB's on the road, and even got a wave from a
BMW driver.  It's really neat to watch teenage boys orgasm when you drive
past...Like Jimmy Buffett said, it was a ragtop day, the sun was out, and
the car performed very well - I got her up to 84 mph, and she had all the
manners of an aristocrat.  I was very happy, nothing clouded my mind (what
girlfriend?)  I saw a garage near my home with two MGB's sitting outside -
one '74 and a '68 BGT.  I stopped to chat, and the guy showed me his
'project' - a '70 roadster that's getting prepped for a Buick V-8.  his '74
had a rebuilt motor and was pretty darn nice.  I got into the car to go and
- nothing.  Wait - a click.
        I tried rocking the car, thinking the starter was jammed.  Still just
one
click.  I checked all the connections on the battery and relay - still just
a click.  Tapped on the starter with a screwdriver handle - still just one
click.  Got a jump from one of the guys with a portable charger - still a
click.  Cleaned the starter connections with sandpaper - still a click.
Beat the starter violently with the lead BFH - still one click.  Tried push
starting the car, and oddly enough, it wouldn't start!  Of course, we only
had about 20 feet to push it, and the car never got above 5 mph, so I can
see why it might not want to start.  I had to call my dad, and he towed me
about a ile with our blazer.
        I'm pretty upset, but it's better to happen now than somewhere on the
500
mile trip.  It still sucks.  So, my dad is going to find me a local starter
with a lifetime warranty.  I'll be back next week, and THEN I'll claim my
car!

Mike Lishego