A/C in a C

To: MG list <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: A/C in a C
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 19:04:45 -0500
While it is relatively easy to put A/C in a MGB, a MGC may well present
insurmountable problems due to the length of the engine. Before snagging
all the good stuff from the salvage yard, get out the tape measure.

First, you are going to need a larger(thicker) radiator. Yours may be
fine now, but you are going to block it with a condensor, so air flow
will be reduced. You should plan on a 4 row core, high effeciency, with
louvered fins, using your original tanks, if possible. Judging from the
stock C radiators I have seen, this should add only about 1/2" to the
thickness. Next, you have to have a condensor, 1" minimum, with 1/2"
space between the radiator & condensor. Now you must address the problem
of air flow. I doubt that the stock mechanical fan will move enough air
to keep you out of the "red zone" in traffic or putzing around on those
90 plus days. This means an auxillery electric fan, minimum 2-1/4" maybe
3-1/2".

If you can find an xtra 4-1/2" in the front of the engine bay, then you
can have A/C. If you don't have that kind of room, you will have to
adapt the old GM air conditioning, GM4-60, 4 windows down @ 60 mph, &
you only have 2 windows.

I have done 3 MGB V8's with air, but I had enough room in front. If you
want to pursue this, contact me off list.

Jim Stuart
2V8's, no dollars or sense