Re: MGA backfireing

To: gvernau@juno.com (George J. Vernau), mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MGA backfireing
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 14:55:14
At 02:02 PM 10/27/98 -0600, George J. Vernau wrote:
>My relatively new (to me) '57 MGA 1500 was running perfectly until one day
last week.  All of a sudden it has started to miss and backfire through the
carbs.  I found a broken vacuum line from dist to carb that I fixed- no
change.  Car starts and idles fine, but misses and backfires on
acceleration, has no power, and seems to be running hot.  Points seem OK,
new plug wires and plugs. Any ideas?

Check to see if the vacuum diaphram actually holds a vacuum.  Sounds a lot
like no vacuum advance.  Also be sure there's oil in the carb dashpots.
Check the timing again.  If all else fails, do a compression check and call
back.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude