Rust Protection / Surface Preparation

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Rust Protection / Surface Preparation
From: SndMn19@aol.com
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 08:49:54 EST
I've been going round and round between the Eastwood and RestoMotive catalogs
and websites and have only managed to get (more) thoroughly confused.  Since
this list has proven to be a reliable source of valuable info in the past,
I'll throw my questions out onto the virtual floor for discussion:

1.  Which is better for bodywork preparation - Corroless or POR-15?  I'm
dealing with an MGA stripped mostly to bare metal and have some surface rust
to deal with.  No major infestation; just a light surface film here and there
as well as some spots where dripping sweat has left its mark.

2.  Which is less lethal?  Warnings like "keep your nose away from the open
can" tend to make me edgy.  Will a respirator adequate for use while spraying
lacquer be suitable?

3.  Which one provides a better surface for final finish?  Compatibility with
body filler (no, I'm not ready quite yet to attempt leading) and lacquer top
coats are my main concerns.  There are some areas with preexisting filler I've
not stripped out - can these be coated over without ill effect?

4.  Will either product be suitable (or even necessary) for use on aluminum
doors, bonnet, and boot lid?

5.  Probably the most important question:  What have I forgotten to ask?

I welcome advice and comments from any and all who have experience with
either, or preferably both, of these products.

Thanks to all in advance,
Ray Dilfield