Re: Paint

To: cfrench@cybertours.com
Subject: Re: Paint
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 20:33:08 EST
On Wed, 28 Oct 1998 11:30:29 -0500 "Carl W. French"
<cfrench@cybertours.com> writes:
>The car goes off the road for the season on Sunday. I have about a
>week
>and a half to get it prepped for the body shop where it is having both
>sills replaced along with door skins and and patch panels. This is
>obviously going to be a $$$$$$$$$$ job in Lindsay Porter lingo. I am
>going to remove all the chrome, the windshield, and most of the
>interior
>including the dash. I am going to strip the wax (I have been given
>suggestions on the list but am open for more as to what to use). The
>person doing the work only does LBC's, he does exceptional work. He
>was
>not going to remove all the finish as he wanted to leave as much of
>the
>good Engilish primer he could. I would like to increase my sweat
>equity
>as much as possible. I am good with redoing wood finishes but I have
>no
>experiance with taking an abrasive to a car surface. Any good books
>people might know about for guidance on surface prep? Any personal
>tips?
>
>Carl F
>67B

For preparation of the old paint - use "Prepsol" - not easy to get  - you
wont find it at most hardware or automotive stores - but check the yellow
pages for a paint shop supply place. Dont use anything else - most of
them are junk (and i have several in my basement awaiting "toxic waste
day" as a testament!)
I bought a book a couple of years ago that is invaluable as a starting
point on this particular learning curve..."Automotive body repair and
painting manual" - its a Haynes publication and fairly readily available
3M make the best sandpaper/emery cloth in the world - bar none!
If its in any way possible - pull the engine and refinish the bay as well
- you will regret it every time you open the bonnet if you dont!! (been
there done that too - sorry Matt!)
If you have an aluminium bonnet, it needs different prep from the rest of
the car and is best left to the pro - it took 4 attempts to get my 69s to
hold the paint
Remove ALL the interior, including the cockpit rail (not just 'most" of
it hehe)

Preparation is the Most important aspect of painting, dont rush it - if
you arent happy with the time frame, ask the pro to inish the job - it
will be worth the extra few $$$

mikr robson
69 roadster
70 BGT