25D Distributor

To: MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: 25D Distributor
From: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 20:01:15 -0800
Hell experienced ones,

      The '77 that I recently acquired has been retrofitted to a 25D distributor
to go along with the HS-4's.  My wiring harness installation has me in the
distributor area.  I've decided to install a Motorola magnetic pickup system
that I've had since about 1975.  In the past I've used it on a '73 Datsun 610
and a '68 Mustang 289.  The kit contains a Lucas adapter that mounts right onto
the 25D plate.  The problem is that the plate that carries the points (ergo the
magnetic pickup) is sloppy.  It appears to pivot about two studs that are about
180 degrees apart and is held in position by a pin that rides in an arc-shaped
slot.  Is this rocking on the studs a normal action for this plate?  It's
difficult to imagine how one can get a consistent timing/dwell setting this
way.  Or is this distributor just showing its age?
(How often to you get to retrofit a period electronic ignition system?)  TIA.

Bud Krueger
52TD
77MGB