dead MGB

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: dead MGB
From: Simon Matthews <simon_matthews@avanticorp.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 1998 09:03:49 -0800
At 02:05 AM 10/31/98 -0700, you wrote:

>Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 09:49:22 -0500
>From: Bill Saidel <saidel@crab.rutgers.edu>
>Subject: Re: dead MGB...
>
>I had this problem on an old Chevette. Whenever the temperature exceeded
>about 80 Fahrenheit, the car would periodically die.  Turned out that it
>had a bad spot on the starter solenoid and if it "stopped there", then the
>solenoid would not engage the starter motor at all.

Hmmm, some cars just seem to have problems with starters: Tr**mph Dolomites
were famous for it. More recently, we had an '89 Volvo 440 (with Renault
engine, I believe) which had an intermittant starter solenoid -- if you
just kept trying to start it, it would eventually go. I always suspected
dirt on the contact and eventually, in the process of the moving contact in
the solenod hitting the other contact, the dirt was shifted and it made
contact.

The problem got worse and worse until we replaced the starter (solenoid not
sold separately) and that fixed the problem -- for about 2 years, when the
problem started to come back. I sold the car because we were leaving the
country.

Simon
---
Simon Matthews                          MailTo:simon_matthews@avanticorp.com