Torn tonneau touchup?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Torn tonneau touchup?
From: tip@ai.chem.ohiou.edu (Tom Perigrin)
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 17:31:17 -0500
Well, as we go through the list of minor aches and complaints that poor
dear Emma ('72 MGB) has as she awakes from a long nap...

Her tonneau cover is torn.  The center has a 2' long tear, that has a 8"
tear to the side - a sort of wide, short letter "T".    Both slashes are
along the grain, and fairly "smooth" edged.  No new material will need to
be added, but it will need to be brought back together, sewn (?), and
possibly strengthened using a backing of some sort...

How do I do this?  Are there kits?  Are the instructions on the web (URL?)?
Are torn tonneaus tractable, or terrible trash?  Too tough to touch up?
Teach me!

---
I used to say the only constants in my life were stress, my loving wife,
and the weekly hairball the cat leaves on the carpet.  After some medical
problems I am trying to reduce the stress... Other than that little has
changed - my wife still loves me, and the cat still vomits up an offering
every week.   A man needs some tradition in his life!