Twincams

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Twincams
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 10:27:45 EST
<<So what I'm getting at is has anyone heard of people doing Twin Cam
conversions on B's if so is there any reading material available/on the Web?
Very unlikely that I'd do this myself, just found it a very interesting
article! :) I've read plenty about enhancing the existing head, fitting
Crossflow heads etc but this Twin Cam is a new one on me.
Cheers,
Neil.>>

You mean other than the factory? I assume that you know about the MGA
Twincams?  In competition they have been overbored to near MGB size and with
suitable work put out considerably more horsepower than a fully done MGB
engine, in the area of 185+ bhp.  I have heard of a 4 valve conversion back in
the 70s but never was able to confirm it.
The HRG heads are nice, and give a very usable boost in mid-range torque, but
don't really offer more ultimate horsepower than a _fully_ prepared racing CI
head. Having said that, the HRG _does_ give more power than most club racing
level CI heads - it is only the full bore CI that exceed them.
The Twincam flows better than either, in stock form, and while there is
obviously less scope for improvement than on the stock B head (which is really
a pretty poor excuse for any head with sporting aspirations), one can still
gain significant bmep with the proper work.

I am not aware of any modern conversion for the MGB engine, although I'm sure
one could be accomplished using, for example, the Toyota 4 valve head as used
in the MGA Coupe kit car that was offered a few years ago. I guess the point
would be - if you are using the head from the Toyota, why go to all the
trouble of converting the inferior B block - just use the entire Toyota engine
and save yourself trouble and expense.

Bill S.