Re: Zenith/Stromberg 175 to Dual SU HS4s

To: "Erik Brzoska" <mowog77@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Zenith/Stromberg 175 to Dual SU HS4s
From: "Jim Carney" <carney_fam_ark@email.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 11:25:43 -0600
Erik, see below.

>Joe Curto is a person who i keep seeing his name pop up, when SUs are
>spoken about and I was wondering what he does.
>I have torn down one of my H4s and have to the other yet, but it doesn't
>sem to difficult a task, what can Joe Curto do for me?

>Does he supply rebuild kits at a good price?
>I am in the market for new needles, jets, maybe throttle plates,
>throttle spindles and bushings, and all the gaskets. How much does a
>rebuild from him cost?

This is the first time I've used Joe. He did ALL of that stuff you
mentioned. What I got back from him was effectively a couple of new
carburetors.
I've been messing with SUs on & off for 30 years (geez..I just figured that
out! it doesn't feel like 30 years...). The problem is that they get loose &
leaky, and become impossible to tune.
I'm at a point now where the time/money question leans more towards the time
side, meaning I'd rather spend the money than the time.
What Joe did for me, was to eliminate the "is this carb tunable or is it a
piece of c**p I'm wasting my time on" question.
I have a 2" header & 2" free flow exhaust on my car. I let Joe know this,
and took his recommendation on non-stock jet & needle size. The car feels
like Joe knows what he's doing.
In reference to cost, I'm nearing completion on the bare-shell (12
year...e-gads!) restoration of a '62 E-type. I'm doing the '64 MGB a little
at a time & driving it in between projects. I have developed the knack of
purging the costs involved from memory. I'd probably have to stop otherwise!
As best as I can recall, the cost was just over $200.
Joe's number is 718.762.SUSU (7878). He's in College Point NY. He was quite
friendly & helpful when we spoke.

>General question (sort of) : I live in NJ and have to pass emissions. I
>just passed with my Z/S but the mechanic I went to knows me fairly well
>and let me tune the carb down until I passed it.
>I want to switch over to the SUs, but I think I will need to retain a
>catalytic converter in my exhaust system.
>Is this a legal option to put a modified exhaust system in and will the
>SUs pass emissions easier?

I'll have to advise you to check with your local authorities on that.
Perhaps Joe can answer whether or not it can be made to pass. He may even be
familiar with NJ laws. You guys are just about neighbors, no?
I like to stick with cars old enough that the only "emissions" equipment is
a crankcase breather...
I also currently live in a place where nobody checks anyway.
Good luck with the conversion. If I can be more help, just ask.
Jim

Oh yeah. I don't know Joe, I don't owe him any money, I don't own stock in
his business.
My only interest is that I WOULD like to see him stay in business so I can
use his services again in the future.
Jim