MGB Rubber bumper conversion

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGB Rubber bumper conversion
From: pete.c88@juno.com (peter j cosmides)
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 1998 22:02:00 +0000
David,
My 2 cents says go for the bumper conversion.....and the paint color
change.  Forget the purists!!
I converted my rubber bumpers to chrome way back in 1984.   It all
happened by accident, as I was removing things to prepare for paint, and
saw more closely what was involved in the conversion.....I haven't seen
that website that outlines the conversion, but I can tell you it helps to
have a chrome bumper car on hand as a model for measurements etc....In
the interest of saving some cash, you can use used bracketry and such,
and spend the bundle on nice new chrome bumpers.  Of course to complete
the whole "illusion" you will really need to lower the car down about 1"
to 2".   I used rear sping spacer blocks and lower/stiffer springs for
the front.  All available from the major suppliers.
If done with care, only a very close inspection will reveal your car was
converted....but either way. Its a nice improvement and I haven't met
anyone yet that is offended by this "non purist" conversion!!
Good luck.

Peter Cosmides     Moorestown, NJ
1973 Land Rover 88" SW
1988 Range Rover