Adam's Bio

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Adam's Bio
From: deutas37@snyoneva.cc.oneonta.edu
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 1998 11:48:11 -0400 (EDT)
At teh request of my dad ( whom you all know and love), here is how i got
into the MG scene.
        When I was like 15ish, my dad got into mgs.  i thought they were
cool, but didnt' really care that much about them.  i was too busy buming
rides off my friends with cars.  But when i got my learners permit, and
started drivers ed., i got into them a little, because i was pretty sure
that i would adopt one of the many from my dad's growing collection as my
own...i didn't .
        I really loved the Rubber bumper look.  I dont know why, but all i
wanted was a post-74 B.  So Dave brings me home an off-faded black 72B.
It was one of the worse cars i had ever seen.  at the time i didnt know
how bad it was, but after i now see.
        It sat on a trailer for about 3 months.  i we got it in june or
july, and my birthday is in late augest.  ontop of that, DAd refused to
let me drive the car until i had a job and could pay for my insurance.  so
i spent my summer fixing little things i was able to figure out, putting
in a radio, and stealing parts from the garage as i went.
        the day before school started, i got a Job at the Virgin megastore
in Westbury, so i now had income.  the same day we went to get my plates
was the day we also decided to let sara get her permit. so we got my
plates in about a half hour.  the plan was to go home, put them on, teach
me to drive a stick shift, and so i could get to school the next day.  but
it took sara life 4 hours to get the procedure done.  Dad said, "ill teach
you tomarrow"...10 minutes later we were in the parking lot accross the
street.
        it was a bit shakey the first few days, but i got the hang of it
pretty quick, and my car became the subject of ridicule in the school
parking lot.  In the first few months we had dont work on the inside.  we
put in fearo seats, clean consoles, all that good stuff.  but the out side
was horrible.  the rockers were rotted, the paint chipped, and it was
about 4 shades of black.  on the up side, all the locks worked.
        We brought it down to ON The Rocks, where i was cheated out of my
dimond in the rough catagory by a rust bucket that drove a whole 3 miles
and had won it for the last 3 years.  i was displeased to say the least.
        Then in december, i got into an accident while leaving the parking
lot of UPS.  i was sent there because i had to drop off 2 carbs to be sent
wherever, and dad was too busy to go.  after destroying the fender,
radeator, my fan, and all sorts of long ago rusted cross members under the
car, we figured it would be time to start the restoration.
        I spent many months, all the money i had, all the money my dad
had, and countless hours in a body shop working on my car.  to make a long
story short...i know, too late...the car looks beautiful today, and ever
piece has been replaced.  every fender, handle, valve, crome strip, doors,
bonnet, everthing.  It is no 1st placer, but after all i have put into
that car, i had better love my MG's.  now that i miss my car, im gonna go
to my class.

Safety Fast,

Adam Deutsch
72 B

ps- to all you purests out there...have fun looking for your original
parts, and checking the cerial numbers on the brake hoses.  the rest of us
will use the car for what god intended it for...DRIVING!  i would trade my
car anyday for a V8 wiht a CD player, and metalic paint.

Later.