Vented Oil Filler Cap and Oil Consumption

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Vented Oil Filler Cap and Oil Consumption
From: BobMGT@aol.com
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 21:49:56 EST
After reading all the recommendations for periodic replacement of the vented
oil filter cap, I finally installed a new one several months ago. Since then I
have noted a dramatic reduction of oil consumption. I was having to add a
quart every time I filled the gas tank, I guess that's around 250 miles. Now
I'm getting well over 1K on a quart. This is on a 71 B engine that has the
little vent pipe on the valve cover blocked off (by the PO), hence the need
for a vented cap. It has over 100K on the odometer and has never been rebuilt.
BTW, the oil consumption was worse on highway miles than around town. Does
this make sense? Where was the oil going? Looks like these caps really do plug
up over time.

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR #7-3336