Valve job on the horizon

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Valve job on the horizon
From: "Walt" <waltcpa@sierra.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 08:27:24 -0800
Hello all,

Well, disaster has struck!  The 5 months we have owned the 77 B have been
filled with many top-down miles (and a few top-up), lots of smiles, and all
the things associated with just plain FUN!

This morning my daughter started the car and it barely ran.  Heavy missing,
backfiring, no power, slow RPM increase, and assorted other bad symptoms.
Limped it to a local mechanic and the result is:  Valve job and maybe a lot
more after the head comes off (comment written on estimate - “Valves were
55-25 compression).  Initial estimate (for valve job only) is $ 823.00.

Well, there is no way I can do that right now and continue to buy food, so
will limp her home and start on the project myself.  Unfortunately can’t
start until late next week, but will assemble as much of the list knowledge
as I have printed over the last few months, grab my Haynes, and blithely go
forward as if I know what to do.  Actually did do a rebuild on a 3 cylinder
Geo (complete with rings) last year, but had the head done at the shop.
That head cost $ 225 so this one would probably cost $ 300 ($ 75 per
cylinder) so will attempt to do much of that myself this time.

Any thoughts about prep work?  Manuals other than the Haynes that would be
useful?  Best place to order parts?  The car has been detoxed and fitted
with a Weber DGV (which I have a manual for) but I believe is otherwise
“normal.”    I’ve read some on the list about “hardened seats.”  Is that
anything for me to worry about?  Is lapping the valves ok or is grinding
them pretty much necessary?   Since winter (read that 3" of snow) is
already here I would like to get it back on the road quickly so maybe an
interim solution (lapping) would work instead of a full rebuild.  Sound
reasonable?

Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated.

TIA

Walt Goddard

77 B (Rolls Canardly - rolls down one hill and canardly make it up the
next!)