Re: mgs@autox.team.net digest #1365 Tue Nov 10 02:05:00 MST

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: mgs@autox.team.net digest #1365 Tue Nov 10 02:05:00 MST
From: Simon Matthews <simon_matthews@avanticorp.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 12:07:15 -0800
At 02:05 AM 11/10/98 -0700, you wrote:

>Date: Mon, 09 Nov 1998 21:58:04 -0500
>From: "Unger, Larry G" <larry.g.unger@lmco.com>
>Subject: Lucas Sports Coil - Type BA 12
>
>Curiosity ... I recently picked up a used coil ... it is
>silver in color and has a silver label with red lettering
>that indicates its a 12V Lucas Sports Coil Type BA 12.

This stirs some old memories --- I have a vague memory of obtaining one of
these when I worked for Lucas, which would date this type of coil around
'79-'80. Don't know when (if?) it would have been obsoleted, but if gives
you aone point in time.

>Ass*u*me this coil predates the current Lucas Sports Coil
>thats gold in color.  Anyone have any info on earlier type
>BA 12 coil? ... does it ahave the same characteristics
>(increased voltage) of the current Sports Coil?

Essentially coils are designed with a set of compromises. At least one of
these compromises can be eliminated today -- points erosion. Anyone who
uses a sports coil with standar points needs to be aware that they will
need to replace their points more frequently. They probably also need to be
much more careful about leaving the ignition switched on with the engine
stopped.

The other basic compromise is how fast the coil 'charges' vs. the peak
current through the coil (and hence heat dissipated) -- I believe
capacitive discharge systems are intended to eliminate this compromise, by
storing the energy in a capacitor instead of in the magnetic flux within
the coil (mostly within the air gap in the magnetic core).

Simon
---
Simon Matthews      Avant! Corporation
                    Phone:  510 413-8820