RE: Smog Gear

To: neilc@tradesrv.com.au
Subject: RE: Smog Gear
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 09:53:59 -0800
Neil:

        If you are really planning to race the car, you will need as
much crankcase ventilation as possible.  The typical set up for racing
is to use a sealed oil filler cap.  That way you do not blow oil over
the top of the engine and cause the tech guys conniption (sp) fits.  You
can use the stock rocker cover with the breather tube towards the rear.
Cut off the tip of the breather tube that has the restrictor orifice in
it.  The tappet cover breather is restrictive.  It can do with being
enlarged and the mesh/filter removed or re-evaluated.  Huffaker
suggested a 2 inch vent pipe off the front tappet cover, with a drain
back tube to the sump!  Connect both vents to a suitable catch tank
which is then vented to atmosphere.  (An aluminium fuel container as
used by back packers makes a really spiffy catch can).
        My B has the Huffaker set up with the drain tube to a deep
baffled sump.  It makes removing the engine a real bitch and I do not
recommend it.

Kelvin.