More MGA

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: More MGA
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 13:04:23 EST
<>

E types? Now don't you think that anyone that owns one of those may be
compensating for shortcomings in other areas?  We MGA  owners, on the othe=
hand, are simply in it for the enjoyment of the cars!

By the way - in regard to your comment on sound and MGB/C - I stated a rac=
e a
couple of years ago side by side with a fairly hot MGB. He didn't want to =
be
the first one to shift out of third. I smiled (inside my helmet, of course=
)
and ran it up to about 7600 before shifting. He bent a pushrod. I left, no=
grinning inside my helmet. You are correct that the Twincam exhaust is spe=
cial
=97 although I obviously am not in a good position to tell from inside the=
 car,
other people from trackside have commented on the difference (not knowing =
that
I had changed engines) when I have the Twinkie engine in, after running
earlier in the season with the crossflow pushrod back-up motor.

And in regard to the Jags - I had a guy come over after a race at Portland=
,
some years ago now. He wanted to know what engine I had, as he was running=
3.8  XK 150S and I had smoked him on top end in the straight. I just smile=
and said a fairly stock MGA motor, and wasn't his Jag running well?

One MGC that has a fairly rorty exhaust note, albeit more baritone than th=
e A,
is the one driven by my pit crew and help mate, SWMBO. It is one of the fe=
cars that sets off car alarms when you start it up in a parking garage. I
fabricated a header and dual exhaust system for it when I restored it, and=
 all
there was room for between the gas tank and spring hangers, etc., was a co=
uple
of slim line glass packs. As a result, it is much too loud, although below
3000 rpm, you can pass for a civilised person; if you floor it at around 3=
000,
it just rips and I have seen semi drivers look over, wondering what is lou=
der
than they are. I must get around to stuffing some sort of Stebro tip reson=
ator
up it's pipes one of these days.

Bill S.