Saving a '66 B

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Saving a '66 B
From: Chris Rogers <TravelMW@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 10:35:07 -0600
Well, a couple of weeks ago I posted that I needed a '66B hauled from
Kansas City to Des Moines, IA. Thanks to Larry Dickstein, it has been in
my garage a little over a week now. No engine, just a rolling chassis.
The car had been through a flood, and after a couple of weekends of
honeydo chores, I was able to literally dig into it last evening. Larry,
my son and I figure you hauled about 400 pounds of mud along with the
car. The good news, the rockers are solid...The bad news, the floors are
shot. That said, the doors are also solid, but full of mud as well. I
have to get them cleaned out before the onset of winter. I am
considering removing the doors and taking them down to the local self
serve carwash and blowing the mud out of them that way. Any thoughts? At
which point should I remove the doors, from the hinge point within the
doors or just unbolt hinge and all from the pillar? What about removing
all of the internal hardware and glass? To my big hands, reinstalling
all of this looks intimidating. It's crunch time, as the cold weather is
around the corner and I want to head off any rust on the good components
that I can save. Thanks in advance.

Chris Rogers
'64 and most of a '66 B