Re: MGA - Oil Filter

To: <prsmith@navnet.net>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: MGA - Oil Filter
From: "Robert Allen" <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 11:59:46 -0600
-----Original Message-----
From: prsmith@navnet.net <prsmith@navnet.net>

>Since my 'new' 62 MGA 1600 MK II has not run for 3 years, I am changing
>the oil and filter.  Then i will squirt light weight oil ijn the cylinders
>and let it sit for a week or so before giving the engine a partial turn
>with the crank, squirt more oil, sit, crank, squirt, etc,  I also plan to
>remove the valve cover and spray the valve assys with oil.  Then I will
>try to start it with a battery.  I also plan to change the transmission
>oil and antifreeze.  Is this approach sound?

You might consider squirting kerosene or diesel into the cylinders if you're
going to let it sit for awhile. This might break free any stuck rings. It
also might not. It will, enventually contaminant the oil, though, but it
won't do anything else detrimental. I don't see the benfit of putting oil
into the cylinders if you're not about to fire it up.

Three years is not a 'long time' except for what it will do to gasoline and
water pump/heater valve seals. Have you done a compression test yet?
--
Bob Allen, Kansas City