Re: lower front springs for RBB

To: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Subject: Re: lower front springs for RBB
From: Andy Ramm <aramm@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 16:31:13 -0800
>From what I understand, the best way to lower a RBB is to change the
cross-member to the earlier B variety.  Yes, this is a big PITA compared
to slapping in a couple of shorter springs, but will preserve suspension
geometry (i.e. roll-center and bump/roll steer characteristics remain
the same, but center of gravity is lowered).

If you just want shorter springs, you can have your coils cut for you by
an automotive machine shop.  Make sure you tell them how much lower you
want the car to be.  If you want 1" lower, they'll cut less than that to
accommodate static load.

Don't forget, if you lower the front, lower the back too!  Having the
roll center and CG heading downhill would make for some very interesting
handling indeed.

As for GT springs, I've compared CBB GT springs to CBB roadster
springs.  The GT springs are shorter and should yield an identical ride
height to a CBB roadster given the GT springs' increased stiffness.

As for a front sway-bar, the 3/4" bar is good on the CBB IMHO. I imagine
it would probably be pretty good on the RBB as well.

Hope this helps,

Andy
'67 B GT Vintage Racer
'72 B Roadster