Re: MGB misses at 70 to 80 mph. Possible causes?

To: "Dirk de Boer" <deboer@duke.usask.ca>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: MGB misses at 70 to 80 mph. Possible causes?
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 20:24:54 -0800
K&N air filters flow more air than the stock ones. It sounds as though you
have upset your air/fuel mixture at the upper end, when your engine needs
more fuel to maintain the car's speed.

Try the stock filters just to see if they resolve the problem. If they do,
and you really want to use the K&Ns, a needle that is richer at it's bottom
(the skinny) end should work.

You may also have a point that your fuel pump is not keeping up with demand.
Make sure all the filters are clean and that the pump is making 2-1/2 to
3lbs pressure at the carburetors, and that the gas cap vent is clear.

By the way, I hope you have overdrive in your car. Driving a fresh (less
than 1000 mile) engine in a non/o/d at 80 mph is certainly one way to make
sure you'll have to rebuild again in a few years! Even with overdrive, 80
m.p.h. is 4,000 rpm and that's a bit quick for top gear on a new engine.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center