Plugging air lines

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Plugging air lines
From: Mark Snowdon <racer45@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 00:31:09 -0800
A little question, Hopefully, that maybe someone out there can help me
with. My 69 Sprite was originally built with a smog pump, but somewhere
down the line, one of the previous owners removed the pump and plugged
the lines with bolts. Upon cleaning up the engine bay, I removed the
remains of the lines that come out of the head, and plugged the holes
with allen set screws. That seemed to be just the ticket. On the other
end was a 90 degree elbow that comes up from the center of the intake
manifold. Since this was a vacuum situation, I used some RTV silicon and
a rubber plug to fill the gap. Worked fine for a few weeks, but this
weekend, the car run on after turning the key off, and aparently blew
the plug out, for the next time I started the car, it rpm's took off
into the stratosphere, before I had a chance to shut the car off. Why
did the car rev up like this, and what is the best way to close off this
aperature. I found the car hard to start after I plugged it again, a
situation relieved by pulling the cork out of the hole slightly until
the motor caught then jambing it furiously in a quick as possible.Can
the elbow be cut off and a set screw be put in its place, or will this
cause a air flow restiction in the manifold.

Waiting on the edge of my seat, Mark Snowdon,

PS- I am not the same one as designed the MGF, but I find the
coincidence in names amusing