Re: The Weekend

To: neilc@tradesrv.com.au, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: The Weekend
From: BDurgin1@aol.com
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 22:55:14 EST
In a message dated 11/22/98 7:36:38 PM Pacific Standard Time,
neilc@tradesrv.com.au writes:

<< >Neil you can buy "Carb Cleaner" in an aerosol can. It works very well.

 Not sure if you mean for the carbs or for other bit's and pieces. If you
 mean to clean greased items, yes I imagine it would be good. Problem is it
 costs $10.00 AUD ($6.50 USD) a can! And it doesn't go very far at all, even
 if left to soak.. :( I've been through, what 3 bottles for the carbs etc. My
 carbs were filthy to say the least.. I've just heard from another Lister
 that oven cleaner is supposed to be very good. Might give that a try next
 time as that foams and is scrubbable (a new word ;) so it may work quite
 well!

I'm not sure  who recommended oven cleaner for cleaning carbs, but I 've
worked in the chemical industry for 20 years and I would specifically NOT use
oven cleaner on aluminum and brass carbs.  Oven cleaner is very
corrosive...don't believe me, try and find a piece of aluminum somewhere (not
on your car, hopefully), spray some oven cleaner on it and watch what happens.

Happy bubbling!!!

Bruce Durgin
64 B