Re: Rack + period suitcase held on by ???

To: Eric Stephen <bk996@freenet.carleton.ca>
Subject: Re: Rack + period suitcase held on by ???
From: Vallely <vallely@ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 00:46:10 -0500
Eric Stephen wrote:

> Hello all:  Just completed the mounting of my Moss "sale" luggage rack
> (not a feat for the faint of heart ... six holes to be drilled in the
> boot lid).  In a previous post I mentioned that I had picked up a period
> lather suitcase (complete with Irish linen lining).  I have been looking
> far and wide for some pictures or text that would indicate how the
> suitcase was held on in the period.
Interesting question about the material culture in 1955-62 (I assume you
have an mga). I don't recall bungee cord back then. There was nowhere
near the variety of 'things' available that you can find in stores
today. So, I doubt that there was a product made specifically to tie
luggage onto racks. I'd have expected to see rope or old belts. The old
belts wouldn't have matched. Another likely posibility would have been
kahki web belts from an 'army-navy' store--that was where you went to
find specialized utilitarian items back in them days....
Zzzzzzz.