Re: MGA: Optional Headlamp Flasher Relay

To: larry.g.unger@lmco.com
Subject: Re: MGA: Optional Headlamp Flasher Relay
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 04:52:48
At 09:05 PM 11/22/98 -0500, Unger, Larry G wrote:
>I've been searching for the relay (Lucas Model # SB40-1, Part # 33135B) ....
>
>However, I have found a NOS relay that is identical in appearance (same
model number), but it has a different part number (33157) and is intended
for use in conjunction with the O/D on an Austin Healy 3000 ... its rated
at 12v, but info regarding its amperage rating isn't on the relay or da
box.  So, the question is ... if I fit the relay that is intended for the
O/D will it handle the amperage for the headlamps? ... or, will I just
toast a NOS bit?

I realize that this is not a trick question, but the answer is a trick on
the public by the car manufacturer (not the relay manufacturer).  If it
bears the same Lucas model number, it is probably the same part.  Quite
often the car manufactures specify different part numbers for the same
physical part when used on different models of cars.  Among other things,
that allowes them to use some creative pricing strategies, like doubling or
tripling the retail price when it was shown in the parts list for cars
being more expensive or more exclusive.

It needs to handle about a 10 amp load, but only intermitently when used
for a headlamp flasher.  When in doubt, hook it up to the headlights, and
give it a try.  If it works for 1 minute continuously it will likely be
fine for this purpose.  If you want to give it a real test, turn it on, let
it run for 20 minutes and see if it gets hot.  It will probably work okay,
because the OD is a continuous duty application.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude