What is a Gulp Valve?

To: "MG List" <Mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: What is a Gulp Valve?
From: "Mike Lishego" <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 15:56:43 -0500
Howdy all,
    My 'B is running well, except carb number one has an air leak.  I've
traced it to a cracked gulp valve casing, and looked at prices for these
things - holy %*$#!  I've got an earlier SU intake that doesn't have as many
air inlet holes on it, and was wondering what effect the removal of the gulp
valve would have on my car.  (I know it gets a line from the air pump and
gets it's own inlet on the intake, but that's about it.)
    Keep in mind that I WOULD be keeping all of these parts, and I would
still be running an air pump, evaporation canister, etc.  If anyone has
removed one of these things, how did your car react?  Right not, my carb
adjustment is off because of this, but the car continues to run well - just
an occasional backfire because of the air leak.
    Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated - I just can't afford a
new valve right now.

Michael S. Lishego
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/3706/