RE: MGA headlamp flasher relay

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: MGA headlamp flasher relay
From: Paul.Kile@Aerojet.com (KILE, PAUL D)
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 15:18:18 -0800
Larry,

Excuse me if someone else responded first (I get the digest so I don't get
all messages exactly in real time).  I went through the same song and dance
with my 1962 MkII.  The only relay I could find with the SB40 style case
(mounting feet opposite the connections, connections screw style) was an AH
3000 O/D relay.  The O/D relay has one or two more connections than the
flasher relay (verified from a very grainy engine bay photo of the correct
flasher relay, in the Vitrikas MGA book, I believe). The O/D relay may be a
double throw type instead of a single throw, and it has an odd grounding lug
to the case.  I disassembled it and removed some of the guts, making it a
SPST relay.  I had obtained a period flasher "stalk" switch from Todd
Clarke, it was a "Wipac" brand, I believe.

I never installed the system, though.  I traded the car for my GT V-8
bodyshell restoration, and gave the parts away with the car.  Never found
out if MG made a special braided sub-harness for that flasher system, or if
they just wired it after the fact.  In any case, I drilled two holes in the
right place on the firewall according to the photo, and plugged the holes
with tiny rubber blanking plugs from Clarke, awaiting eventual installation
of the system.

Hope this helps,
Paul Kile
(Parts Nitpicker Extraordinaire)