Re: Lead Additives

To: "MG digest submit" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, <mup1dm@surrey.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Lead Additives
From: Phil Raby <mgworld@chp.ltd.uk>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 13:38:13 -0000
On 26/11/98 9:04 am mgs-owner@autox.team.net said

>Now, in my book doing a 'no-lead conversion' valve job in order
>to prevent the possibility that I might need a valve job is , well,
>premature. If you need head re-build, put in hardened 'no-lead'
>parts. Otherwise don't worry, because the only thing you can damage
>by not doing head rebuild is the parts that you would renew in a
>head re-build anyway.

This has always been my thinking on this =AD why change go to the expense
of changing a good head for an unleaded one? At worst, you'll end up
needing new valve seats, at best, you'll be able to continue running your
car for years without forking out money today.

If you use Premium (as opposed to Super) unleaded, yu may need to retard
your ignition timing to avoid pinking - easy enough to do.

Cheers,

Philip Raby
Editor, MG World
PO Box 163, Bicester OX6 3YS, UK
Tel: 01869 340061 Fax: 01869 340063 Mobile 0467 767361
www.chp.ltd.uk