Re: Heads off, what next

To: wmgilroy@lucent.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Heads off, what next
From: H4aardvrk@aol.com
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 15:45:10 EST
In a message dated 11/26/98 9:27:58 AM Mountain Standard Time,
wmgilroy@lucent.com writes:

<< What can I do myself, what should I check and re-check?

 Bill,
     It is quite obivious from your observations of the head and cylinder of
your  engine that a Complete tear down,inspection,and rebuild are in order.
    Acopy of the proper Haynes workshop manual for your car will take you step
by step through a complete inspection and rebuild scheme.  Please obtain one
of these manuals and read it thourghly.
     After your readind,you will understand what is involved in an inspection
and rebuild scheme.  I have rebuilt nearly 100 engines in my day..I don't
start any inspection without a Book Of Numbers;a book with factory
specification data in front of me.
     It is no easy task to inspect a machine such as an automobile engine if
you are not fully aware of what you are looking for.  Precise measurements of
crank,cam,pistons, cylinder bores,rods,oil pumps etc. are required.Many of the
conclusions as to condition will be of an objective nature..some will be
subjective. Without experience, one would be unlikely to be able to carry out
a successful inspection, let alone a complete rebuild.
     I say all of this simply as an awareness exercise..If one is
diligant,pragmatic and has a good workshop manual and good mechanical
appitude, there is No reason why such a person cannot successfully rebuild his
engine..Let the manual set the procedural steps as to inspection..heed the
warnings when the manual suggests taking a component to a special automotive
machine shop to have precise measurements done..let the manual suggest when to
have various mechanical operations done to the particular engine parts..mostly
be aware that there are many things needed during the rebuild that are out of
the scope of the average home rebuilder.
     Keeping the above in mind, I would suggest that you certainly pull the
engine, read the manual and then get into the disassembly and inspection of
your cylinder head,all related components, and then into the
engine,,'cautiously."  There is a new world for you in there..reach out for
it.
                          Yours, H4(Howard)
1974MG-Bgt
1974MG-B roadster